Georgia International Poultry Short Course 2014
This is a 5-day course designed by Department of Poultry Science faculty at UGA that will cover a range of topics in modern broiler live production and processing. Individuals new to the poultry industry, as well as experienced professionals will find the course informative. In addition to formal instruction, demonstrations and hands-on laboratory exercises in various areas of poultry science will be conducted at the University of Georgia Poultry Research Farm in Athens. During this program, participants will have the opportunity to interact with experts in many poultry production areas. The 2014 program will focus on the many challenges in building and maintaining healthy broiler flocks.
The course will immediately follow the International Production & Processing Exposition (IPPE, January 28-30, 2014) in Atlanta. Tuition for the conference is $925, which includes:
- All meals from the opening luncheon on Friday through the morning snack break on Tuesday (Meals include continental breakfasts, morning and afternoon snack breaks, lunches, and dinners),
- Transportation to and from hotel and UGA Poultry Research Farm,
- Course notebook in hardcopy and electronic formats,
- All PPE (personal protective equipment) required for demonstrations and laboratory exercises.
Registration for this course includes a free registration for the International Production and Processing Exposition in Atlanta, January 28-30, 2014 at the Georgia World Congress Center in Atlanta, GA.
Please note that lodging accommodations in Athens and transportation to and from Athens are not included in course fee. Cancellation of registration less than two weeks prior to event will result in being billed for the course.
Direct questions regarding the UGA International Poultry Short Course to:
Questions regarding Registration: Jeniece Vinson - email@example.com (706) 542-1371
Questions regarding Course: Dr. Brian Kiepper - firstname.lastname@example.org (706) 542-6776
- Nutritional keys for healthy broiler flocks
- Improving broiler health through Genetic techniques
- The importance of Biosecurity to protect broilers
- Broiler management practices that lead to common health problems
- Infectious diseases causing losses in economic performance
- Incubation factors that impact broiler chick quality
- Hatching egg management and sanitation
- Nest site selection
- Recognizing chick quality issues
- Poultry house Insect Management to benefit broiler flocks
- Monitoring water quality parameters that impact broiler health
- Poultry house water system management and sanitation
- Animal welfare audits
- Broiler gait evaluation and footpad scoring
- Litter moisture and broiler performance
- Using litter treatments to optimize broiler flock health
- Poultry housing temperature and air quality control
- Ventilation systems design and operation
- Broiler house air quality assessment
- Understanding the physiological limits of the modern broiler
- Modern poultry processing methods
- Poor flock health effects on broiler slaughter
- Manual processing operations versus automation
- Methods for detecting pathogenic and spoilage bacteria in processing
- A major retailer’s expectations in processing Food Safety Programs
Accommodation for the International Poultry Short Course is available at the Athens-University Holiday Inn, located in Dowtown Athens, Georgia.
For further information and to make your reservation, please contact Holiday Inn.
A block of rooms are held for the Georgia International Poultry Short Course, until January 9th, 2014. Request the "IPC" block.
We look forward to having you spend a few days in Athens, GA. There are two ways to get to Athens from Altanta; rental car or the Groome Transportation shuttle service. Reservations can be made for the shuttle using the link below. Groome makes 18 round trips between Atlanta and Athens each day. Please note that Groome Transportation only picks up at the Atlanta airport, so you would have to travel back to the airport and catch a ride on the shuttle from there. Their website is http://www.groometransportation.com/athens.html or they can be contacted at (800) 896-9928 or (706) 410-2363
Regular registration ends December 6th, 2013. However due to high demand, no guarantee can be given that class slots will remain open through December 6th, 2013. Please register as early as possible.
After December 6th, 2013 or all class slots are filled (whichever occurs first), a waiting list will be created and individuals will be contacted individually for registration if cancellations occur. Class slots are offered on a first-come-first served basis based on registration completion and course fee payment.
Register Online Today